Tuesday, October 7, 2008

New Favorite Word: Shopper-tunity!

Ever have one of those weekends where you wonder what happened to your days off? I have those sometimes and they're usually consumed by one of the following: cleaning up the yard with Mr. Burpsalot; or typing away on the laptop for wedding-related things; or running errands with the older folks in the family.

Then there are the ones that are ruled by that ever-so-powerful, socially sanctioned monster: Shopping. Oh, shopping. Shopping, shopping, shopping. I don't think I've ever swiped my debit card as quickly and as often as I did this past weekend. Sigh.

Now, don't think I let the monster rule me without a fight. I fought back. I just didn't win. Let's just say the shopper-tunities didn't let me win.

Shopper-tunities: derived from Shoppertunity, which originates from a campaign by a bargain store (which shall remain nameless - it rhymes with -arshall's) highlighting the opportunities that arise when shoppers find great deals.

And now, on to examples of shoppertunities from last weekend:

1. My maid of honor, Jackie, and I went shopping for the bridal shower she's throwing me. We bought favors, decorations, games, prizes and invites at Michael's and Target for under $90. Ha. Shoppertunity!

2. I bought (with the help of frugal Mr. Burpsalot) all the Bridesmaid jewelry for under $75. Each lady is getting a set of cultured fresh water pearls (necklace and drop earrings) to wear for the wedding. I bought 4 sets for the original price of one. A-ha! Another shoppertunity!

3. I've been procrastinating about my look for the engagement session we're having with Gregory Paul but this weekend I went to a store called Avenue which is for plus-sized ladies like myself - and they had a huge sale on summer dresses. I bought a dress that was originally $59.95 for - hold on - $14! Can we say the word again? Shoppertunity ;]

So, in the end, yes I swiped my debit card quickly and often this past weekend. Did I break the bank? No. Did I resort to hiding receipts from Mr. Burpsalot? No. Did the stores take advantage of me? No.

What's my new favorite word? You guessed it.

No comments: