Wednesday, September 10, 2008

And he said, "You're cooking?!"

OK. I admit it. I'm no Suzy-(however her name is spelled)-homemaker. My mom unsuccessfully tried to have me do things like that as a teenager, but, alas, to no avail.

I can make a killer chicken soup from scratch. And I mean killer. I can make bake marshmallow covered yams like Martha Stewart and Rachael Ray's bastard love child. I can. I promise. I have Thanksgiving pictures to prove it, damn it.

But do I? That's a big N-O. My grandma and her arroz con pollo are turning in her grave as we speak.

But that was until this past week when a couple of coincidental, albeit fortunate (in disguise), events occurred. First - the wedding is catching up with us - and doing take-out is taking us out, financially that is. Second of all, Donald starting to notice where he spends most of his money - very nice, expensive lunches. I'm not talking sit-down restaurants, but places like Quizno's. Yummy? Yes. Expensive? Double yes!! And then a few of the lovely ladies on the knot.com SoFla board (my current prime time addiction, sorry bloggy blog!) decided to start cooking blogs. Praise the kitchen goddesses - my inspiration has returned!

Our kitchen has yet to be remodeled (which is a casual cook's turn-off, IMO) but yet I'm still cooking. I have cooked now for 4 consecutive days (today we made sides and bought a Rotisserie Chicken from Costco - long day of crisis counseling, ugh). I feel like I'm in I-can-cook-but-don't-wanna Rehab...and you know what? I think I'm getting out soon. No, I'm not throwing a tantrum and getting kicked out. I think I might graduate! And I owe it all to almost-empty-pockets and cooking blogs! So thanks to Michelle and Melissa for the lovely blogs. Donald tips his hypothetical hat in your direction, too.

Now, if only there were cleaning blogs. Hm.

On a brighter, less chore-y related note - we schedule our tasting. La, la, la. Free food - the thing Donald is most looking forward to about wedding planning. And we now have cake tastings arranged, too. We're hitting up 3 spots for cakes: Edible Temptations, Ana Paz, and Edda's. (Note to self: bring gallons of bottled water to avoid sugar shock). Yay! We're getting so so so close. Everything major is booked. We even picked out our ceremony songs; which are generously being played by Donald's good (and very talented) friend Marcelo-the-guitar-teacher. Coming in to Snow Patrol's Chasing Cars (the walk to the altar at the Rusty is pretty short) and going out to God Only Knows by the Beach Boys.

Only 130 days. 130 days. A hundred and thirty days. 18 weekends and 18,000 things to do. Okay. I think I'm having mild anxiety. 130 days.

No comments: